Welcome to our Village
For such a small village, with a population of only 60 people, Glooston has all the amenities for promoting a strong village community spirit – a pub, a church and, of course, the village hall. There is a small stream that runs through the village which eventually runs into the River Welland.
The village church of St John the Baptist, next to the village hall, dates largely from a rebuilding of 1866–7 but retains several medieval features.
Next door is the village pub, the Old Barn Inn formerly known as the Bluebell Inn, which was rebuilt around 1930 replacing a fully timber-framed building which had a thatched roof. It is currently closed.
The village hall, which faces the green, was built soon after the Second World War under the auspices of the Rural Community Council and is used also by the Glooston Church inhabitants of Stonton Wyville and Cranoe. It was extensively refurbished in 1992, and again in 2021 adding a landscaped garden, seating and parking at the rear.
Safe & Secure
Because the Main Street leading up to the hall, church and the pub is not a through road the village is free of passing traffic and, particularly in the Summer months, has a very relaxed and secure feel for the many ramblers, cyclists and riders who visit the village.
Information on the history of Glooston can be found on the following websites:
British History Online – An historical record of Glooston from the 11th century.
Owsley Family Historical Society – An American family society showing their links to the Glooston church through the Reverend John Owsley, Rector of Glooston Parish in Leicestershire, England, from 1660 to 1687.